Monday, May 18, 2009

Fun with Produce

I love this time of year. The farmers markets tables are laden with gorgeous fruits and vegetables to choose from. I have canceled our organic produce delivery for now. I much prefer to be able to go out and pick exactly what it is I want for the week.

There is a small farm stand locally every Friday morning that I have been going to. Each week it is different. The last Friday it was a bonanza of things we love to eat.

These strawberries weer so ripe and juicy that the juice ran down your chin. I am sorry I didn't buy enough to make jam.

Look at the color of these golden beets, gorgeous! They taste spectacular too. I have to share this funny story. I also picked David up some turnips which he likes to eat raw for a snack. He peeeld one of my beets and put a piece in his mouth. He tol me these were very different tasting turnips, very sweet. I laughed so hard when I realized he was eating a raw golden beet!

Cooked up and ready to eat. Wish I had bought more to make a cream of golden beet soup.

Fresh chard. So tender and tasty.

David has been loving the artichokes.

Costco had a big bag of limes at a great price so I juiced and froze it for use in marinades and cooking.


Costco also had boxes of oranges from Exeter, CA. These are the oranges I have been dreaming off for over 25 years. My former MIL lived near there and always bought them out in the orchards. She would bring a case to us each time she visited. Fresh squeezed orange juice every morning. These oranges are what I know a fresh picked CA orange to be; sweet with just the right amount of acidity. I juiced these and froze the juice as well. I am heading back to get another case to eat and juice fresh each morning. This is a bit of heaven for me.

I like to marinate boneless skinless chicken breasts in 1 up Meyer lemon juice (or lime juice), 1/2 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup tequila, 1 tablespoon chile powder and 1/4 teaspoon or to taste of chipotle chile powder or cayenne pepper. Leave them in the fridge overnight and grill the next evening. So tasty and tender!

No comments: