Friday, June 26, 2009

Truckee Farmer's Market

Tuesday morning Jen, the kids and David and I headed over to the once a week Farmer's Market in Truckee. Wonderful breads - bought a delicious loaf of multigrain with flax seed bread. Also whole wheat individual pizza crusts with the sauce. We are trying those in the next few days.



There were market baskets from Africa for sale that the proceeds benefited the farmer's market. I love the round ones but found it bit uncomfortable against my leg when carrying it. I sure do like the look of them.


I opted for this one which is is flat against me leg when carrying it.



It's not only great for use at farmer's markets but also to put the vegetables I pick at our shared garden. I am very happy with this market bag.


I made up a few different types of cucumber salads yesterday using the Japanese cuc's from the garden. This one is Cucumber Salad with Spicy Wasabi Dressing.

1-1/2 teaspoons dry wasabi (or to taste)
2 cucumbers
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar (I use Splenda)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon black or toasted white sesame seeds
Mix the wasabi with 1/2 teaspoon warm water in the bottom of a mixing bowl and let it stand for 5 minutes.
Peel the cucumbers, cut each one in half lengthwise, and use a melon baller or spoon to scoop out the seeds. Cut the cucumbers width-wise into 1/4-inch crescents.
Add the vinegar and sugar to the wasabi and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the sesame oil, salt and pepper. Just before serving, add the cucumbers, scallions and sesame seeds to the dressing and mix well.

Note: I like more dressing then the recipe calls for so I usually make double and sometimes add in a bit more cucumber.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Me leg? Are you a pirate?? LOL...just kidding! We had a blast too!! They have fun stuff and I LOVE your basket you chose!