Friday, September 18, 2009

In My Kitchen - Greek Salad with Caper Vinaigrette

This was my lunch today. It is very good. This recipe is from Nick's Fish Market at The Fairmont Kea Lani resort in Maui. I made the full amount of dressing last night, and today for lunch I composed a salad the size I wanted to eat and used a portion of the vinaigrette to dress my salad.



Vinaigrette:
1 cup olive oil
1 4-oz jar capers with liquid
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3 hard cooked eggs, whites only, minced
2 tablespoons minced roasted red peppers from jar
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Salad:
10 plum tomatoes, cut into wedges (I used small orange and red heirloom tomatoes form garden)
3 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
2 Maui onions, chopped (about 3 cups), I used red because I had it
3 cups shredded hearts of romaine (about 1 head) I used baby spinach because it's what I had
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese (about 9 ounces)
1 1/2 cups cooked bay shrimp

Vinaigrette: Whisk all ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Salad: Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Add vinaigrette to salad and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

Note: This would be a great salad for a buffet. I am also thinking it would be pretty to dress the spinach/lettuce separately and place on a serving platter. Then dress the "goodies"separately and pile each one individually on top of the bed of spinach/lettuce for presentation.

No comments: