Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Spring, A Time of New Life

The tulips have started to bloom in the garden. This always make me smile.

A visiting kitty in the garden. A little cutie.

I made Mustard Roasted Fish Fillets for dinner the other night. Very good. Here's what you do:
4 (8 ounce) fish fillets, such as red snapper or tilapia tenderloins
8 ounces nonfat sour cream (original recipe calls for creme fraiche)
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
2 tablespoons minced shallots
2 teaspoons drained capers

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. (You can also use an ovenproof baking dish.) Place the fish fillets skin side down on the sheet pan. sprinkle generously with salt and pepper if desired.

Combine the NF sour cream (or creme fraiche), two mustards, shallots and capers, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Spoon the sauce evenly over the fish fillets, making sure the fish is completely covered. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish, until it is barely done. (The fish will flake easily at the thickest part when it's done.) Be sure not to overcook it! Serve hot or at room temperature with the sauce from the pan spooned over the top,

My Notes: I used a baking pan with sides and my sauce did not brown like the sauce shown in the cookbook. The sauce stayed on the fish when cooking, but removing from the pan it did slide off and I had to spoon the rest on top of fish on serving plate. It didn't look to appetizing at this point because it didn;t brown, though it tasted good. My fish fillets were smaller than the recipe called for and the sauce was a bit much for the mild fish. I would use less sauce next time unless I had quite large fillets. I liked the sauce on it's own before cooking as well. I think it would be delicious on fish and other sandwiches and used on the side as you would tarter sauce. I cut the recipe in half for the two of us.

Yesterday I took down the curtains in the family rooms and washed and dried them.

A little touch up ironing to them.

After I hung them again they had new life. Other than being 2 to 3 inches shorter they look good as new. To every season there is a purpose. Smiling here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tulips are lovely; cute visitor. Only you know that the curtains are shorter; I would have supposed you bought them that length! Don't you feel really good for having accomplised this task? Went to exercise this morning early; came home, cleaned up, changed, went shopping for "stuff" I wanted. Time for lunch now and then maybe a nap. Hugs, Vaden