Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bunco, Strata Recipe and Helping Out Our Bride-to-Be

Yesterday morning was my turn to host the once a month morning bunco group. It was an enjoyable time. Halfway through the games I served a meal of Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Strata, fresh Reiner cherries, strawberries, pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew melon and red grapes, as well as blueberry and bran muffins. I was going to take pictures when I made the strata and forgot, as I did when they came out of the oven. I will include the recipe in this post. Eleven out of eleven women asked for the recipe yesterday. That made me smile.


Starting form the left, Helen, Averill and Carmen.
Verona, Rose, Paulette and Mary.
Bonnie, Norma, Joanne and Carol.
Though I didn't get a picture of the strata before everyone attacked it, I did snap one after. One itty bitty piece left which someone ate on their way out the door!
The Recipe:

Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Strata, Candleight Inn's, serves 12 to 18 (12 as the main course, 18 as one course to a multiple course breakfast)

The Candlelight Inn is a B&B in Napa, which we stayed at with VAden and Arlen quite a few years ago, and David and I enjoy returning to when we want to get away. This strata is my favorite egg dishe I have had there. It is rich, delicious and always a hit when I serve it.

This recipe is also easily adaptable. Just substitue different vegetables, herbs, or cooked ham or bacon, etc. for the artichokes and peppers.

12 eggs
2 teaspoons hot sauce (I do not use)
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup melted butter
1 pint cottage cheese
1 lb. sgredded cheese, such as Jack & Cheddar mixed
8 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
8 oz. raosted red bell peppers, chopped
4 clices white bread, crusts trimmed off & cut into cubes (I use buttermilk bread)

Beat eggs and add hot sauce if using. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together, whisk into eggs. Add melted butter, then fold in cottage cheese, shredded cheese, artichoke hearts, and roasted red peppers.

Sprinkle bread cubes into 2 buttered 8 x 8inch baking dishes. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top. Recipe can be prepared ahead up to this point, cpvered, and refrigerated overnight. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until edges are firm and kinfe comes out clean. Garnish with soure cream and salsa verde if desired. Enjoy!

Wedding Planning

After bunco, Averill, Verona, Paulette and I took off to meet with the caterer for Averill and Bob's wedding. Averill wanted our opinions on the taste of certain salads she was to choose from. It was a pleasant afternoon discussing food, wedding cakes, presentations, wedding favors, bouquets and flowers, bridal party clothing, and all the fun and creative things that go into putting together a wedding and reception.

No comments: