Sunday, February 1, 2009

Eating Light - Polenta Crusted Fish Tenderloins with Honey Mustard Sauce

Last night I came up with this recipe for something new to try with fish. I had some tilapia tenderloins in the freezer so I used those. If you like a crunchy crust on your fish you will enjoy these.

About 1/2 cup polenta (you could use cornmeal)
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon paprika
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
2 tilapia tenderloins
2 teaspoons very light tasting olive oil or corn oil
Lemon wedges, if desired
Honey Mustard sauce, if desired

Combine polenta, flour and paprika in a shallow rimmed dish or bowl. Put egg whites in another shallow rimmed plate or bowl. Dip each fish tenderloin in polenta mixture, then in egg whites, then again in cornmeal mixture. Place tenderloins on a plate; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet. add tenderloins and cook over medium-high to medium heat, until cooked through and flaky inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the tenderloins.

Honey Mustard Sauce:

To taste:

NF plain yogurt
Dijon mustard
Honey

Mix together and serve. You can make it ahead of time and place in fridge. Take out when you start to cook the fish.

Sauce Note: I used mostly Dijon with enough NF yogurt to make it creamy and just a little honey to sweetened it slightly.

NOTE: You could make this with any fish fillets as well. I would think the amount of polenta mix and egg whites would be enough for four 4 or 5 oz. fish fillets.

I served the fish with roasted brussels sprouts that I had par-boiled first, then tossed very lightly with EVOO and roasted @375 degrees F for about 25 minutes cut side down. Some brown rice was also on the plate though David and I found we couldn't eat more than a couple of bites of it.

I have never been a brussel sprout fan, but these fresh picked from our organic produce delivery and roasted could change my mind. They were actually good.

1 comment:

Eileen and Stan said...

This recipe sounds really good. I'll have to try it. Thanks. Your lemons are outrageous. Too cold here to even try growing citrus.