Monday, February 16, 2009

Views From My Kitchen

Yesterday I made David some Dark Chocolate Brownies cut into heart shapes for Valentine's Day. They are his favorite. He is so easy to please - he loves brownies made from Betty Crocker's Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix. I just baked them in a 9x9 baking pan and cut them out with a deep heart cookie cutter.

For dinner I tried a new low-fat recipe. Chicken Chili that was cooked in the crock pot. so easy and simple and it is tasty topped with nonfat sour cream. The chicken thighs scarcely add any extra fat to the dish and they add a whole lot more flavor.

Below is the finished dish ready to serve. Next time I will cut the amount of chili powder I used this time. It was very spicy and needed the nonfat sour cream to cut the spiciness!
Chicken Chili Recipe which makes 4 servings:
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed, thighs cut in large chunks
2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes with mild green chiles (I used 1 10 oz can Rotel, 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes w/out salt, and 1 4-oz can diced green chiles)
1 can black beans, rinsed
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut in bite-size chunks
3 tablespoons chili powder (will cut this back next time around)
2 tablespoons tomato paste (from a tube, only way to go with tomato paste I think)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, if desired

Toppings: Nonfat sour cream (or regular), toasted pumpkin seeds, chopped cilantro

Mix all ingredients in a 3-quart or large slow cooker.

Cover and cook on Low 7 to 9 hours until chicken and vegetables are tender.

Top with nonfat sour cream, cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.

NOTES: As I mentioned I will cut the amount of chili powder next time around and add a touch of cinnamon to the mix. I also think the addition of golden raisins would be good in this as well.
This would be good served over corn bread if desired.

No comments: