Sunday, November 2, 2008

Moments of My Week

This week has been one mainly spent at home catching up on things I have gotten behind on and playing in my kitchen when I can.

After making so much applesauce and also spaghetti sauce that needed to be frozen, and having been using a lot of things from the freezer, I had to tackle the job I have been putting off for quite a while -- clean out and organize the freezer in the garage.

This is one of those jobs that I never want to do, but always feel so good once it is done.

After I finished with the freezer in the garage, I organized the one in my kitchen.


It is nice k wing exactly what I have again, what needs to be used soon and what can lounge around for longer periods.


I found ham hocks in the freezer I needed to use so I made a pot of pink beans. One of David's favorites.


I make them very simply by adding chopped onion, a touch of granulated garlic and dry mustard. Add pepper at the end.


We did make a trip to Costco this week and they had beautiful golden pineapples from Hawaii. This has been a snacking source this week.


RAIN! YES RAIN! After an October that was mostly in the high 70;s and low 80's we have gray skies and rain. It smells and feels so good! I was ready for the rain and to feel fall weather.


I was way behind on writing my Diane's Home Kitchen e-newsletters so I have been busy with them this week. I am through November and writing the one for the first Thursday in December right now. My goal is to have them done through New Years so I do not have to worry about then except for sending them out during the holidays.


I have been craving pumpkin bread and had pumpkin in my pantry I needed to use and cranberries in the freezer, so I made Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread.

Mix flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice together. I use a whisk which also incorporates air into it at the same time.


Mix pumpkin, eggs, sugar, orange juice, and oil together with mixer.



Pour into flour mixture and stir just until mixed. Stir in cranberries, pour into pans and bake for an hour.



Breads cooling on racks.


Inside of bread - moist and the tartness of the cranberries with the pumpkin I love. You can use sweetened dried cranberries for a sweeter taste. I would imagine most people would prefer that with the pumpkin.


Potatoes in the pantry so I made potato soup for diner last night. Perfect for a rainy day.



Addition of shredded cheese and bacon bits from the fridge and pepper and we were set to eat. David likes extra bacon bits on top of his.

I'm a cheese lover myself.
Today I am hoping to bake pumpkin-pineapple breads and make red pepper jam and preserve it. I was not happy with the last batch I made. I have the red bell peppers and everything else I need, so I think I will try it again.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I am enjoying the rainy weekend at home.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm going to have to make some pumpkin cranberry bread! I would have never thought of putting those together but it sounds and looks delicious.