Saturday, November 29, 2008

Holiday Party Prep In The Kitchen

This year I decided that I wanted to make picadillo as an appetizer for the party, however I didn;t want to use it as a stuffing for empanadas but as a dip. I have made it before but for a filling and cooked beef and pork in liquid with onion and garlic then shredded it before adding. This time I wanted to make it with ground beef. I consulted with two Foodie friends, Sonia and Pepe who are both originally form Cuba to learn how they make theirs using ground meat. I then took their ideas, and incorporated what I love about Mexican picadillo and created my own.

For each pound of ground beef I used 1 chopped onion, 1 red or green bell pepper chopped, 6 garlic cloves minced, 1 can of diced tomatoes drained well, 1/2 cup dry white wine, 1/4 cup cup sultana's (golden raisins), 1/4 cup sliced pimento stuffed green olives, 1 1/2 tablespoons capers, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 2 tablespoons Splenda or sugar, 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon cumin and kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
I will serve it in a chafing dish and have Tostito Scoops to serve with it. I am thinking of sprinkling toasted slivered almonds on top to serve. I made a triple batch and I have to say it turned out vcery good. In fact I had a hard time staying out of it. It is now safe from me in the freezer.

I also made some fudge that will be one of the offerings on the dessert table. The basic old Fantasy Fudge recipe. Adding chocolate chips to sugar, butter and evaporated milk that has been at a rolling boil for 5 minutes.

Stir in marshmallow creme and vanilla, pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish sprayed with Pam, and let cool before cutting into serving size pieces.

Mmmmmm, it turned out creamy and yummy. Everything else I will make the day of the party. I also made it easy on myself this year and have purchased many hot appetizers from Sam's Club. They are so good so I do not feel guilty. Only 7 more days! Had a lot of fun creating the picadillo this afternoon.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Yum...can't wait to taste it.

Jen said...

Everything looks delicious and festive!

Erin said...

Yum...Mom and I are with Sarah. We can't wait to eat it.