Sunday, September 21, 2008

In My Pursuit of Using What I Have.......

I am still making use of what is in my freezer and pantry. Last night for our dinner I made White Bean and Sausage Stew. I discovered soaked white beans in the freezer as well as garlic sausage, and from the pantry I took diced tomatoes, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar and dried garlic and herb bread crumbs. From the fridge came white wine and Parmesan cheese. I utilized all these ingredients in the dish.

In the pot I sauteed chopped onion and minced garlic in a little olive oil. Then added the chicken broth, white wine and drained canned diced tomatoes. I brought it to a simmer, and let it cook, covered, until the beans were tender and began to fall apart, about 1 1/2 hours. I used the back of a wooden spoon to mash some of the beans to give it a creamy texture.


Then I added the garlic sausage, sliced in about 1/2-inch pieces. I allowed this to cook for about 5 minutes or so to heat the sausage. (These sausages was already cooked, so I did not precook them.)


Then I added balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and cooked for a few minutes to mellow the vinegar flavor.


Poured into a flameproof casserole, sprinkled the top with dry garlic and herb bread crumbs mixed with grated Parmesan cheese and placed under the broiler for a minute or so until lightly browned.


Ready to serve. This really is a quick and easy take on French cassoulet. I will make it again, but next time will use less balsamic vinegar or omit it all together, and will try a chicken and herb or lamb sausage.

NOTE 9/22/08 -- Leftovers prove that the balsamic vinegar should stay but perhaps cut it down by a tablespoon. The falvor is much more mellow the second day and important to the taste of the dish.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yum!!

I need to do this because BOTH my freezer's are full to overflowing.