Sunday, September 7, 2008

Tonights Dinner - Shrimp & Couscous

I am still having fun (and feeling real good about) using what I have in my freezer and pantry and new fresh produce items each week to make our evening meals. Today it was large shrimp I took from the freezer and a box of whole wheat couscous from the pantry. I used some of the lemons I bought on friday and made a lemon couscous using chicken broth, lemon zest, lemon juice and a little butter. I love that in 5 minutes you have a pot of cooked couscous.

I defrosted the 2 pounds of large shrimp. Put some olive oil and 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet and heated and stirred until the butter melted. Can you believe this Italian girl forgot to replace the garlic she used up? Yep. So from the pantry I took Gilroy Garlic Festival dry garlic garni and shook a good amount into the skillet. (This seasoning has garlic and herbs and is very good.) Then I tossed in the shrimp and stirred until they were just barely pink, then added a little white wine and lemon juice and cooked just until the shrimp were done.

I served it on top of the whole wheat lemon couscous. It's a definite keeper and both dishes whipped up within minutes. If you use garlic and not the dried garni I did, I would suggest you add some chopped Italian parsley to both the shrimp and couscous, and if you like heat, some dried red pepper flakes would be nice too.
Hmmmm, now what to stuff the fresh poblano chiles I bought at the Framer's Market friday........

1 comment:

African Kelli said...

yes please!! This looks so, so good. Thank you Diane!