Thursday, October 9, 2008

Erin Update

Deb and I joined Rob at the hospital around 8:30 last night. We had first been told we could see Erin before 10:30. They were still closing when we got there and that took quite a bit longer after we arrived. We saw her when they brought her out of the OR to intensive care and under the circumstances she looked good! Her head bis not bandaged like the first time. They have something over that side, which actually looks like a large ear muff. She does have a collar around her neck. Finally about 11:15 all 3 of us were able to go into the ICU and see her. She was still pretty out of it, and she was telling the nurse that her neck hurt. She talked to Rob a bit and when he told her they got all the tumor her voice went into an excitement mode (as best as one can still on heavy meds) and said "Really?!" Her Mom told her to just rest at one pint and she immediately feel back to sleep. That's a mother comforting touch for you. :-) I believe she was aware I was there as well. When I told her "I love you Sweetie," she grunted.

We did learn that the facial muscle on that side is not working and they do not know why; the doctor said perhaps because it is angry/stressed. The hope it of course it is just temporary. If it isn't, they have quite a few things they can do to correct it and they will if they need to.

Rob just just talked to Erin's ICU nurse and she had a good night. She is very coherent which is great. She had a hard time getting comfortable, but she is comfortable now.

We will be leaving this morning to head back home and get ready for our grandchildren and Jen and John to arrive toorrow afternoon. We are of course very excited to spend time with them. Love you all.


Jen said...

Yippee!!! I am hoping the facial nerve is just distressed and will eventually come back on it's own. If not, it's great to hear there are things they can do for it. Yay! I am so glad to hear she is doing well!

Sonia said...

Oh Diane, I'm so happy to hear it. I too hope the facial nerve problem is just due to the stress of the surgery and that it will correct itself...but am glad they can do something about it if it isn't.
Prayers are ongoing!

Sarah said...

That is great news. I hope the nerve is just mad and will come around.

Stanley said...

Great news! We also hope the nerve will come back without intervention.
Enjoy your family's visit. Especially have fun with the grandchildren.
You've done a superlative job with the "Erin Updates". Can't thank you enough!!!!
Stan & Eileen